Tuesday, April 2, 2013

April 2: Trying to Remain Positive

I'm a lucky guy.

I have a partner in the medical office who is the best coworker a person could hope for.  She's supportive, hard-working, positive, and funny.  She also has three small children, one of whom is only six months old.

I've known for a while that one of her goals for a long time has been quitting her job.  She wants to be a stay-at-home mom.  I don't blame her.  Her husband makes good money.  If I could stay home with my daughter and son full-time, I would.  It would be a great gig.

Today, she made her plans a little clearer.  She's going to sell her current house, which is gorgeous, and buy a house and parcel of land next to her parents' home.  It will drop her mortgage payment enough to allow her to stop working.  And, at that point, I will want to open a vein.

Yes, I'm selfish.  Yes, I'm jealous.  You see, I've wanted to sell my house and get a new house for, oh, about five years or so.  My coworker, in the time I've known her, has accomplished this feat twice.  If I owned her current abode, I would never want to leave my house.  Ever.  That's the jealousy. 

The selfish is not wanting to lose her as a coworker.  She makes my life so much easier and happier.  If I end up a solo act in the business office again, it's going to suck in the suckiest suck way possible.

One of my other coworkers asked me at lunch, "What are you going to do when she leaves?"

It was a question I wasn't prepared to answer.  It was a question that I thought was a little mean.  It was a question that simply took the wind out of my sails.

Saint Marty is trying to remain positive.

Jealousy is an ugly thing

No comments:

Post a Comment