Monday, February 4, 2013

February 4: God Bless Father Jim

I received news this evening that a really wonderful man has died.

Father Jim, the pastor of one of the local Catholic Churches, had been battling cancer for several years.  Yesterday morning, he joined the angels.

I have known many priests through the years that I've been a church organist.  I've known priests who were quiet and loving.  I've known priests who were generous and charitable.  I've known priests who were quirky and difficult.  I can honestly say that Father Jim was one of the best.  A kind and gentle soul.  Strong in faith and action.  He truly enjoyed his vocation.  Always smiling, always supportive.

My favorite memory of Father Jim is seeing him dressed as a clown at a circus.  The Knights of Columbus brought the show to town one summer, and there, under the Big Top, was Father Jim in his red nose and makeup.

Tonight, Saint Marty is going to say a prayer for Father Jim.  Rest in joy.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment