Monday, February 25, 2013

February 25: Burning Eyes, Burning Question, "Rye" Dip Monday

My eyes are burning.  I was up until almost 1 a.m. watching the Oscars.  I got up at 4 a.m. for work.  Yes, I'm functioning on around three hours of sleep, and I don't even have a golden statue to show for it.  That's right.  I didn't win the faux-Oscar prize last night at the party.  I needed two more correct guesses to tie, and three to win outright.  Damn Ang Lee and Christoph Waltz and Quentin Tarantino.  They screwed me over.

Anyway, I'm beat today.  My goal is to simply survive this Monday without falling asleep in front of my film class at the university.  That will be difficult.  I'm starting to show 2001:  A Space Odyssey.  That's not exactly a pulse pounder, if you know what I mean.

To accompany my burning eyes, I need to ask a burning question.  Since Pope Benedict retires at the end of this week (on Thursday, to be exact), there's a whole lot of speculation right now about who will be his successor.  That's what my question is about today.  No, I'm not going to ask whether I'm going to be elected pope.  I know I'm a little too young for that still.  My question is:

Will the next pope be from the continent of Africa, like Saint Augustine?

And the answer from the good book of Holden is:

"No, thanks.  G'night!" old Phoebe said.  She was trying to get rid of her, you could tell.

Okay, so here's Holden's sister, Phoebe, trying to hustle their mother out of her bedroom.  Their mother has asked, "Do you want another blanket?"  Phoebe answers her.


And Phoebe answers Saint Marty.  No African pope this time.

I can barely tell them apart...

No comments:

Post a Comment