Tuesday, July 31, 2012

July 31: Light as a Feather, Merry as a Schoolboy, Unreasonably Happy

"I don't know what to do!" cried Scrooge, laughing and crying in the same breath; and making a perfect Laocoon of himself with his stockings.  "I am as light as a feather, I am as happy as an angel, I am as merry as a schoolboy.  I am as giddy as a drunken man.  A Merry Christmas to everybody!  A Happy New Year to all the world.  Hallo here!  Whoop!  Hallo!"

Scrooge is nauseatingly happy in this paragraph.  Returned from the spirit world, not dead, not without hope, Scrooge dances around his bedroom, overjoyed to be alive.  (By the way, "Laocoon" refers to a priest of Poseidon who was caught in a, well, compromising position in the temple with his toga around his knees.)  In the movie adaptations, this scene is the most comical, played for laughs by every actor who has ever portrayed Scrooge, from Reginald Owen to Michael Caine.  And there's happiness.  Lots of happiness.

Like Scrooge, I'm unreasonably happy today.  I have been sharing my good mood with everybody to the point of annoyance.  I know, when I'm not in a good mood, that I want to perform open heart surgery with a dull spoon on any stupid Laocoon that comes my way.  Today, I am the Laocoon, although I am fully clothed.  Perhaps my mood will change as the day progresses, but right now I'm as light as a feather and merry as a schoolboy.

I'm not going to go any further with this post.  I just want to enjoy feeling good and not jinx myself.  I very rarely experience the gift of unreasonable happiness.

Saint Marty wants to jump, skip, shout, "Hallo here!  Whoop!  Hallo!"  Don't be alarmed.

Preach, John!

No comments:

Post a Comment