Tuesday, May 29, 2012

May 29: "Carol" Dip Tuesday, Candy Seasons, Money, Job

It officially feels like summer now.  Memorial Day is behind us.  June is looming.  We are into the Tootsie Roll season.  Frequent readers of Saint Marty know that I break the year into two parts.  The first part begins in late August/early September when the Halloween candy begins to appear on the shelves at Wal-Mart.  It is the part one of the candy year.  Halloween candy lasts through the first week of November (when you can buy large quantities of it for obscene discounts).  Christmas chocolate starts appearing by late October.  Christmas lasts through the first week of January.  The rest of the candy holidays follow:  Valentine's Day and Easter.  After the Easter Bunny has hopped on down the bunny trail by late April, the second part of the candy years begins:  the dreaded Tootsie Roll season.

I have nothing against Tootsie Rolls.  In fact, there's nothing better than a warm Tootsie Roll midgee of the red-white-and-blue wrap variety.  They're fat and comforting.  However, during May/June/July/August, when parades are aplenty, the candy thrown from the parade floats generally consists of different varieties and flavors of Tootsie Rolls and sticky, semi-frozen Popsicle sticks that taste like shit and melt all over the Tootsie Rolls, creating a slimy mess.  Obviously, I'm a much bigger fan of part one of the candy year than part two.

Well, I go back to work today after the long weekend.  And so, since I missed Carol dip Monday, I will celebrate Carol dip Tuesday.  I have a serious question to ask, and I'm hoping for a positive response.  (I know, I know.  I'm being superstitious.  Stupid.  Adolescent.  Maybe even annoying.  However, I have a post to fill.)  My questions is this:

Will my wife get that job for which she interviewed on Friday, and will our financial situation improve?

And the answer from the great book of Dickens is:

"Ghost of the Future!" he exclaimed, "I fear you more than any Spectre I have seen.  But, as I know your purpose is to do me good, and as I hope to live to be another man from what I was, I am prepared to bear you company, and do it with a thankful heart..."

Well, this quote sort of touches on everything.  Yes, I'm terrified of my summer financial situation (the Ghost of the Future).  However, as Scrooge says, the future's purpose is "to do me good," so I'm going to head into June with "with a thankful heart."

Wow, that wasn't too bad.  I'll take that answer this morning.

Now, if Saint Marty could just locate a July Fourth parade where they throw full-size Milky Way bars from the floats, life will be perfect.

Tootsie Roll season has arrived

No comments:

Post a Comment