Tuesday, August 9, 2011

August 9: Day Two of Vacation, Date Night, Planet of the Apes

This is Day Two of my vacation.  My two-year-old son actually let me sleep until 9 a.m.  I was amazed and a little concerned, thinking he may have aspirated his pacifier or smothered under his pillow.  He was just fine, hit the ground running.  Literally.

I don't have a lot to report today, which is a blessing.  I just received a phone call from one of my best friends downstate.  His wife had spinal surgery yesterday to remove a cyst.  Everything went well, but she's experiencing a lot of pain and can't feel one of her arms right now.  The doctor told her is was because of swelling and she should be back to normal in a few days.  Pretty scary.  I know if I woke up from spinal surgery and couldn't feel an appendage, I may be a little concerned.  Actually, I might go apeshit.

Which brings me to my next topic.  Tonight, my wife and I have our date night.  We're going to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which I was shocked to discover my wife wanted to see.  I grew up watching Charlton Heston and Roddy McDowell in those movies.  I don't know how many times I've tried to growl like Heston, "Take your stinking paws off me, you damn, dirty ape!"  Anyway, this new movie has gotten great reviews, so I'm looking forward to seeing it.


Tomorrow I'm going to try to have another new poem to post.  The one I wrote yesterday was really difficult to write.  I wasn't sure what it was trying to say.  I revised it a little bit just a few minutes ago.  I think it's working much better.  I hope tomorrow's poem comes a little more easily.

By the way, my good friend from the university said that he can't get published in the Black Warrior Review either.  I don't feel quite so bad now.  My friend has three books under his belt (two of them collections of poems) and a couple more on the way.

Saint Marty is on the mend.  He's not the only Black Warrior loser.

No comments:

Post a Comment