Monday, August 1, 2011

August 1: Samuel Z. Arkoff, Empire of the Ants, New Poem

My coworker just left for the day.  Before she left, her husband dropped off her birthday present.  An iPad 2.  Very nice.  Just what she wanted.  I thought I was going to be quite jealous.  However, at the moment, I don't feel anything.  I'm not sure if my reaction means I'm numb, indifferent, or so consumed with envy I've gone into shock.  But my coworker left with a moony expression on her face.  I'm sure she's going to be spending the rest of the day playing with her new toy.

This morning, one of my best friends found out the results of a biopsy which she had performed on Thursday.  The biopsy was negative.  She was quite worried because her brother died of melanoma at a fairly young age.  I've been praying for her all weekend, had a whole army of my friends praying for her, as well.  Nobody can tell me that prayers go unanswered.

This morning, I mailed a letter to my daughter at summer camp.  I know she's doing great, but I still can't help being worried about her.

I have a new poem today.  It's based on my experience battling ants in my house this summer.  Because the weather has been so hot this June and July, these annoying little insects have invaded my dwelling.  Nothing can get rid of them.  They disappear for a little while, only to reemerge in bigger numbers.  After work, I'm going to stop at Walmart to buy a new trash can for the kitchen.  Something with a lid.   I'm about ready to set the whole building on fire if this doesn't work.

My poem is also inspired by a cheap, Bert I. Gordon film produced by the great B-movie producer Samuel Z. Arkoff in the 1970s.  It starred Joan Collins (that should tell you something).  It was incredibly cheesy and wonderful.  It was about a colony of genetically mutated ants that tried to take over the world.

A great, B-movie from Samuel Z. Arkoff
Throw in some Greek myth, and you have the ingredients for today's poem.

Saint Marty's headed to Walmart now.

Empire of the Ants

I remember the film vaguely:
Joan Collins battled an army
Of mutated ants, big as African
Rhinos, things still driven by insectile
Instinct to gather food, store it
For cold months, for a ravenous
Queen and her blind larvae.
Ants swarmed schools, houses, boats,
Like Greeks laying siege to Troy.
They carried off victims to tunnels,
Chambers of sand and decay,
Moved fast, in a perpetual state
Of urgency, because they somehow
Knew it was only a matter of time
Before Collins and her crew
Invented a magnifying glass
Big enough to fry thorax, antenna,
Wreak Armageddon, restore
The planet to its proper, human
Balance.  This summer, ants overrun
My house.  From a June and July
Filled with heat, drought, they find
Sanctuary in my cool kitchen,
The dust of sugar on counter,
Peach residue on bowl and rag.
In the mornings, I flip on lights,
Watch ants scatter like shadows
Across sink, floor, garbage can.
I press my thumb on stragglers,
Feel them curl, burst under
My pressure.  Most retreat until
Darkness returns, until they sense
Safety, like a crumb of brownie,
A core of apple, calling them out.
The way toxic waste called the mutants.
The way the horse called Trojans.
The way sirens called Ulysses,
Made the rocks soft, inviting,
Sweet as Penelope’s thighs.

Joan Collins making out with an ant

No comments:

Post a Comment