Saturday, May 5, 2012

May 5: "Toddlers and Tiaras," Medals, Pizza

I got to the dance competition site around 7 a.m., giving me the opportunity to observe mothers bringing their young children in for the day.  It was like watching a live episode of Toddlers and Tiaras.  I saw one mother ordering her eight-year-old daughter to bend, flip, and leap all over the lobby.  The kid, dressed in a two-piece, midriff-baring, sequined outfit, followed her mother's commands like a trained monkey.  It was a little disconcerting.  I'm not even sure this little girl was having fun.  From my vantage point, she looked like she was preparing for battle.

During the course of the day, I saw little dancers slip, fall, and run off the stage in tears.  I also saw dancers perform like pros.  One particular solo was to the Billy Joel song "Lullaby," and it actually made me cry.  The only other dancer who was able to move me like that was my daughter, who was stunning.

My daughter danced twice today.  For her solo, she received a silver star.  For her group dance, she received a gold.  Of course, I think she deserved much higher on both, but then again, I may be a little biased.  I'm not exactly Tonya Harding, but a little piece of me celebrated when I saw another dancer in my daughter's categories make a mistake.  I think that's just natural.  I want my daughter to do the best that she can, and I want everybody else to fracture a kneecap.

My daughter just got back from playing with her friends.  It's 11:30 at night, and she's taking a shower.  We ordered pizza for dinner.  It was some of the best pizza I've ever tasted.  Stuffed crust from Pizza Hut.  I was a little famished.

We don't have to get up early tomoorw.  My daughter doesn't perform until the afternoon.

For the first time in about a year, Saint Marty isn't setting an alarm for Sunday morning.

Silver and gold, baby

No comments:

Post a Comment