Sunday, June 30, 2024

June 30: "Lazy Creator," Strange Sunday, "Poetluck Casserole"

Billy Collins' sermon for this Sunday . . . 

Lazy Creator

by: Billy Collins

And on the second day
he rested.



It has been a strange Sunday for me.  For the first time in many years, I had no church service to play keyboard for this morning.  So, I didn't hit the ground running.  I moseyed.  Ate some breakfast.  Read some.  Wrote some.  Watched TV.  Like Collins' Creator, I allowed myself to be lazy.

That doesn't mean I wasn't productive.  I did go grocery shopping.  Took my puppy for a long walk.  Got my hair cut.  Made dinner.  Led a virtual poetry workshop this evening.  There just wasn't a church component to my day.

It's going to be a short, quiet work week because of the upcoming Independence Day holiday.  I have only one event on the calendar at the library.  Never fear.  I always have plenty of things to do, just nothing urgent.

I'm used to being incredibly busy.  All the time.  My list of daily tasks is usually 14 or 15 items deep, and I rarely accomplish more than five or six on a good day.  So, when I find myself with time on my hands, I experience the kind of guilt reserved for committing a mortal sin.  (Look it up.  I was raised Catholic.)

Bless Saint Marty, for he has relaxed today . . . 

Poetluck Casserole

by: Martin Achatz

Mix Pepperidge Farm stuffing
with one cup of melted butter.
Whip together four eggs,
two cans of chicken noodle,
two cans of cream of chicken,
a couple cups of cooked chicken
breasts.  Put in a 9 X 13 pan.  Bake
at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

Serves one sestina or two sonnets
and a haiku.



No comments:

Post a Comment