Wednesday, June 19, 2024

June 19: "Symphony No. 4 (Brahms)," Piano Lessons, "Writing Poetry at McDonald's"

Billy Collins on music appreciation . . . 

Symphony No. 4 (Brahms)

by: Billy Collins

The kettle drummer
fell asleep

while the triangle player
counted out his rests.



Music has been a part of my life since middle school.  I started taking piano lessons when I was in the fifth or sixth grade.  I've probably told this story before, but I was a very energetic kid.  I bounced from on distraction to another all day long.  Focus was not in my vocabulary, unless it was something that really excited me.

My mother, in an attempt to slow down her pinball child, decided I should take piano lessons.  To make me sit still and concentrate, at least for an hour or so a day.

Well, I took to piano more than my mother anticipated.  Now, some 40 or so years later, I still play.  In fact, I earn money each weekend for my musical skills, playing at two (sometimes three and four) separate churches.  All because of my wildly busy brain.

I'm sitting at McDonald's right now, writing this post.  My wife is working, and I had an interview at the local public radio station this morning to talk about an NEA grant the library received.  The library itself is closed in honor of Juneteenth, so I have a few hours to kill.  I ordered a large Diet Coke and set up shop in a booth.  Laptop.  Fountain pens.  Books.  I'm surrounded by kids who seem slightly puzzled/curious.  I can almost hear their thoughts:  What's that weirdo doing?

Saint Marty is doing what his mother taught him so many years go:  sitting still, concentrating, trying to create something beautiful.

Writing Poetry at McDonald's

by: Martin Achatz

I sit in a booth, wait
for my order of large
fries with chicken nuggets,
try to come up with a rhyme
for atherosclerosis.



No comments:

Post a Comment