Friday, February 22, 2019

February 22: A Bit Squalid, Packing up and Throwing Out, My Friend

Ford and Arthur on the Vogon starship . . .

Ford and Arthur stared around them.

"Well, what do you think?" said Ford.

"It's a bit squalid, isn't it?"

Spent my work day at the medical office with one of my best friends/coworkers, packing up and throwing out all kinds of shit.  It wasn't my idea of an inspiring day, and, when we were done, the whole place did look a little squalid.  Judge for yourself . . .

There's really no other way to describe the scene.  It looked like move-in or move-out day at a college dorm. 


The only thing that saved me from resorting to an overdose of sleeping pills or M&Ms was my friend.  She kept it funny and light, even when I wanted to ball into a fetal position in one of the shred bins.  Yes, I still feel like I'm tossing out my sister's legacy.  Yes, every time I came across something with her handwriting on it or in it, I wanted to hide it, keep it safe, stash it in the walls, draw a treasure map to it.  I didn't.  I threw away, with the help of my friend, who was also one of my sister's best friends, as well, so it didn't seem quite as bad.  If I had been weeding and tossing with a person who had never met my sister, I don't think it would have gone as well for me.

But my friend knew my sister.  Loved my sister.  Helped her through the last days of her life.  It was good to have her by my side today.

Saint Marty is so lucky to have such a wonderful person in his life.





No comments:

Post a Comment