Tuesday, February 12, 2019

February 12: Done With Winter, Yoopers, "Spring Snow Storm"

I just looked outside at my neighbor's house, buried in snow.  It just keeps coming and coming.  When my wife got home from work this afternoon, she climbed out of her car and said, "I'm just about done with winter."

Yoopers are allowed to complain about snow in the Upper Peninsula.  We've earned that right.  Outsiders (and by outsiders I mean any person who has not lived here for at least ten years) are not allowed to voice frustration with winter weather.  If they do, they will be shot down immediately by "real" Yoopers with stories of the Winter of '78, where the snowbanks were as tall as houses.

Saint Marty has a snow storm poem for you tonight . . . 

Spring Snow Storm

by:  Martin Achatz

The weather guy, in his ugly tie,
Predicts six to twelve inches tonight,
A spring storm out of Alaska, Canada,
Winds as strong as cattle trains.
Tomorrow, I will wake to this creature,
This force of different fronts from ocean,
Mountain, glacier, tundra.  I’ve heard
It said a butterfly’s wings, trembled
On African savannah, causes hurricanes
On the Gulf Coast, another flood
In the Big Easy, wipes out Mardi Gras
For good, an oil slick of jazz
On magnolia, pelican wing, bayou.
I wonder if the collective gasp in Japan
After earthquake and tsunami caused
This early spring snow, set into motion
Winds across the Pacific, bore
That shock and grief through salt,
Through supermoon, mixed it with cries
Of caribou and polar bear, brought
It to me, to my home, snow falling
On roof and car, snow on street, lawn,
Gas station, church steeple, snow
Everywhere, heavy as a thousand souls.
Tonight, when I press my lips to my son’s
Fingers, somewhere on this planet
Rain will start to fall in a desert place,
Filling the land with green life.


No comments:

Post a Comment