Monday, February 4, 2019

February 4: Feeling Nostalgic, "Pantoum Lullaby," Vote

I am feeling a little nostalgic tonight, watching my kids enjoy their day off from school.  They've played video games, watched A Series of Unfortunate Events, and listened to the branches crack and snap outside.

Eighteen years ago tomorrow, my daughter was two months old, and I was dreaming all kinds of things for her.  How she would be a dancer and singer and writer.  How I would read to her every night, all of my favorite kid's books--Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlotte's Web, and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.  How I would watch her grow into a smart, beautiful young woman.

Tonight, that beautiful young woman is upstairs in her bedroom, eating blueberry pancakes with her boyfriend, and Saint Marty is looking at her baby pictures.

Pantoum Lullaby

by:  Martin Achatz

Little one, curled tight
in my love's belly,
can you hear me
sing in the night?

In my love's belly,
can hear words I
sing in the night
as you swim and dance?

Can you hear words? I
press my hand to you
as you swim and dance
in your universe of water.

Press my hand to you,
beneath my love's heart,
in your universe of water,
dark and warm with sound.

Beneath my love's heart,
the music never ceases.
Dark and warm with sound,
you tremble and wait.

The music never ceases.
Hush little baby, I sing.
You tremble and wait
in your liquid twilight.

Hush little baby, I sing.
My voice is the moon
in your liquid twilight.
I'm calling you home.

My voice is the moon.
Can you hear me?
I'm calling you home,
Little one, curled tight.



Please vote for Saint Marty (Marty Achatz) at the 2019/2020 Poet Laureate of the U. P. at the link below:

Vote for the 2019/2020 Poet Laureate of the U. P.


No comments:

Post a Comment