Tuesday, June 17, 2014

June 17: Ate Heartily, Local Story, Prayer for Love

Wilbur ate heartily.  He planned to leave half a noodle and a few drops of milk for Templeton.  Then he remembered that the rat had been useful in saving Charlotte's life, and that Charlotte was trying to save his life.  So he left a whole noodle, instead of a half.

One thing I love about Wilbur is that he's so accepting.  Sheep.  Cows.  Spiders.  Horses.  Geese.  He loves all the creatures in the Zuckerman barn.  Even Templeton, the rat.  Despite Templeton's shortcomings, Wilbur cares about him enough to save part of his dinner for him.  We should all emulate Wilbur the pig.

There's a story in the local news that's creating quite a stir.  A local man married his life partner this past Saturday.  They've been together for close to 30 years.  This man also happens to be a member of a local Catholic church.  He lectors, sings in the choir, serves on the parish council.  He loves his church family.  And he's gay.

This past Sunday, when he showed up to attend church, he was told he could listen and worship in the vestibule.  He was banned from being in the actual sanctuary.  I'm not sure of all the details.  I don't know who told him he couldn't participate in the celebration of the mass.  It could have been the priest or the bishop.  I'm not certain.  But there's no getting around the fact that what happened was wrong.

Pope Francis, traveling with members of the international press recently, held an impromptu press conference aboard Shepherd I, the Vatican's jet.  One reporter asked Francis about his opinion of the Catholic Church's stance on gays.  The pope's response:  "Who am I to judge?"

I think some members of the local Catholic church need to take a cue from the Holy Father.  So, my prayer focus this week is for love.  I'm going to pray that there's a loving, Christian reconciliation to this situation.  One that involves understanding, not judgement.  I hope that all my disciples can get behind that prayer.

Saint Marty is with Pope Francis on this one.

I've got Frank's back

No comments:

Post a Comment