Thursday, December 12, 2013

December 12: "A Christmas Pageant for Americans," Christmas Program, Piece of Mind

"'A Christmas Pageant for Americans.'  It stinks, but I'm Benedict Arnold.  I have practically the biggest part," she said.  Boy, was she wide-awake.  She gets very excited when she tells you that stuff...

Phoebe is telling Holden about her Christmas program at school.  She's making sure Holden is coming to see her as Benedict Arnold.  Of course, Holden assures her that he's going to be front and center for her performance, even though their father is flying to California and won't be in attendance.  Christmas doesn't seem to be a big deal in the Caulfield household.


This morning, I went to my son's school Christmas program.  The program was based on a children's Christmas poem, with musical interludes.  I didn't hear too much of the poem.  There were too many people jumping up-and-down to take pictures and wave at their kids.  My son looked great in his little tie and vest outfit, and his face lit up like a comet when he caught sight of my wife and me in the audience.  And, even though the transitions between songs and speakers took an ice age, I really enjoyed myself.

The program sort of reminded me of better Christmases, better years.  I was able to put aside all my worries and cares for a little while and just be happy.  I didn't want to leap to my feet and yell out "Humbug!" at any point during the morning.  Well, maybe once, when some person tried to cut in front of me in the ticket line.  However, the person was politely informed that the line ended over there, about a quarter mile down the hallway.  Merry freakin' Christmas, dumbass.

If you're struggling this holiday season, finding it hard to muster up even a modicum of yuletide oomph, I recommend going to a children's Christmas program.  Even a crappy program is going to lift your spirits.  There's something about all those little kids, dressed in their Christmas finery, grinning and waving like maniacal elves, that is an antidote to even the most severe bout of Scrooge-ness.  For me, that joyful glow lasted all afternoon long.

I watched "Frosty the Snowman" and "A Charlie Brown Christmas" with my son this afternoon.  I sat on the floor with him and helped him make a paper snowman to hang on our porch window.  I even cut out some paper snowflakes.  It was a blast.  For probably the first or second time this December, I actually enjoyed doing something Christmasy.

And that's a piece of Saint Marty's mind.

A perfect morning for a dreary holiday season

No comments:

Post a Comment