Sunday, November 11, 2012

November 12: "Brokeback Mountain," "Carol" Dip Monday, Getting Published

These guys would like my poetry
It is Monday morning.  I am tired and a little cranky.  I didn't get to bed until after 11 p.m., and when you get up at 4 a.m. every morning, that makes for a really long day.  I need caffeine in the worst way.

Now that I have that out of my system, I will talk about the week ahead of me.  I will be screening the film Brokeback Mountain for my Intro to Film classes.  I wanted to show a Western, but I didn't feel like watching John Wayne or Clint Eastwood.  Thus, I went with a revisionist Western.  If you haven't seen the movie, do not start making jokes about gay sheep herders.  It really is a stunning piece of cinema, and Heath Ledger is brilliant.  I just hope I can get my students to get past their preconceived notions and really appreciate the artistry of it.  Ang Lee is hands-down one of the best directors working.

I'm beginning to think I should have chosen something a little "safer" for my Western.  Maybe The Searchers or Unforgiven.  I've never been one for playing it safe, however.  It's going to be an uphill battle.  But I took it easy on my students last week.  They got to watch Toy Story.  They should be up for a little challenge,  Plus, I need to give them something to talk about at their Thanksgiving dinners next week.

It is time for a Carol dip.  My question has nothing to do with bisexual cowboys, sheep, or Heath Ledger getting it on with Jake Gyllenhall.  It is about getting published.  More specifically, it's about getting my new book of poems published.  I still haven't placed the manuscript, and I finished it over a year ago.  That's a little depressing to me.  Not as depressing as being in love with a a married cowboy, but it's still damn depressing.  So my question is simple:

Will I publish my new poetry manuscript within the next six months?

And the answer from the great book of Dickens is:

My opinion is, that it was a done thing between him and Scrooge's nephew:  and that the Ghost of Christmas Present knew it.

A done thing.  I like the sound of that.  Looks like I'll be autographing copies of my new book before the ball drops in Times Square on December 31, 2013.

Sing with Saint Marty, "Should old acquaintance be forgot..."


No comments:

Post a Comment