Sunday, November 11, 2012

November 11: "Snowmen at Night," My Favorite Thing, New Doorknob

It was my brother's birthday, and I gave him a wonderful present:  I let him replace the doorknob on my front door.

The doorknob broke about two weeks ago.  It wouldn't open.  It took me five minutes to get off the front porch.  I fixed it with masking tape.  Actually, I taped it so it wouldn't engage into the lock.  Of course, there was no way of locking the house up at night, and that made my wife and daughter a little nervous.

So, today, I decided to let my brother fix it for his birthday.  He had a great time.  In fact, he enjoyed it so much that he fixed the deadbolt and squared up my threshold, as well.  I was so glad to make his special day even more special.

Speaking of special, today I'm supposed to talk about my favorite things.  I decided to discuss one of my favorite children's books, Snowmen at Night by Caralyn Buehner.  My daughter got it as a birthday present when she was four years old.  She had it memorized by the time she was five.  The artwork is gorgeous, full of whimsical detail.

I just started reading it to my son a few days ago.  My daughter had stuffed it into a box of books in the attic.  It took me an hour to find it.  Now, both of my children are enthralled by it.  My son loves the poetry and pictures.  My daughter spends hours looking for the hidden shapes in each illustration. (I still can't find all the rabbits and cats and Santas and Tyrannosaurus Rexes in each painting.)  I love the idea of snowmen coming to life at night.

Maybe I'm being nostalgic.  Maybe I'm being sentimental.

But Saint Marty loves Snowmen at Night.  It really is one of his favorite things.

Two of my favorite things:  my daughter and Snowmen at Night

No comments:

Post a Comment