Monday, November 26, 2012

November 26: 4 a.m., Early Bird, "Carol" Dip

The Early Bird gets Coke Zero
I have never been an early bird.  I don't believe in catching worms or sunrises or anything related to mornings.  It is 5 a.m., and I have already taken a shower, gotten dressed, and driven to work.  I have piles of work to get done, and I am not looking forward to the day ahead of me.  Mornings pretty much suck in my book.

I don't know how I ended up with a job that gets me out of bed so early.  Don't get me wrong--I'm grateful to have a job.  I am completely aware that there are many people in this country who would kill to be in my position.  My job provides health and vision and dental insurance.  I have a ton of vacation time accrued.  I'm really lucky.

However, I don't like getting up early.  I don't like having to suck down 52 ounces of Coke Zero in order to make it past 8 a.m.  (Keep in mind, by 8 a.m., I have already worked three hours.)  On weekends, when I'm able to sleep in until 6:30 or 7 a.m., I feel positively decadent.

I know what job I want.  My dream job.  My Oprah job.  That is what my question for Carol Dip Monday concerns:

Will I ever be hired as a full-time instructor at the university?  (I may have already made this query, but it doesn't hurt to check back every once in a while, either.  And I have taken steps to accomplish this goal.)

The answer from the book of Dickens is:

Martha didn't like to see him disappointed, if it were only in joke; so she came out prematurely from behind the closet door, and ran into his arms, while the two young Cratchits hustled Tiny Tim, and bore him off into the wash-house, that he might hear the pudding singing in the copper.

I think I may have received that same answer the last time I asked this questions.  That's OK by me.  Martha doesn't like to disappoint her father, Bob Cratchit.  I don't like to be disappointed, either.  I will get that full-time job at the university.  Charles Dickens says so.

That's good enough for Saint Marty this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment