Tuesday, September 6, 2011

September 5: Winner Again, Melancholy, Mythology

NOTE:  I tried to publish this post yesterday.  Blogger's new browser has been giving me issues.  But, as my grandmother used to say, "Better late than pregnant!"

Well, the competition was fierce, but, in the end, the winner of the Name the Poem contest is...Wonder Twin, once again.  The subject she chose for the poem is jealousy/envy, something with which I have a little experience.  Congratulations, Wonder Twin.  Watch for your poem on the blog in a couple of days.  Your saint holy card will be hand-delivered within a week.  I promise.

Labor Day always makes me feel a little melancholy.  I'm not sure if it's a hold-over from my days as a youngster, when this day meant the end of summer vacation and the start of another long year of school.  It may also be the chill in the air, the shortening of daylight, the crawl into autumn and winter.  Whatever the reason, I always have this sense that I'm attending some kind of funeral and wake on Labor Day.  The death of summer and all its attendant freedom and warmth.  I know that's not very comforting.

Tonight, I have to get my daughter ready for her first day of school.  I have to pack her lunch, set out her outfit, make her take a shower, get her to bed early.  This year, she's taking a bus to school.  It will be the first time since she started kindergarten that I haven't driven her, walked her to her classroom, and kissed her goodbye.  She's not having any problem with this change at all.  I, on the other hand, am mourning the little girl she used to be.  It's hard letting go of that little pig-tailed child.  I'm sure, when I walk her to the bus stop tomorrow morning, it will be even harder.  Not a big fan of change.

All day, I've been reading/reviewing mythology.  I have to teach tomorrow afternoon, and I have to sound like I know what I'm talking about.  I know the material, but I haven't taught it before.  Therefore, I tend to panic.  I will over-prepare, and then I will relax a little.  Teaching mythology depends a little more on knowledge of geography and history than I'm used to.  I'm comfortable with the cultural and sociological aspects of mythology, but when it comes to knowing the difference between Crete and Turkey, I'm completely at a loss.

Wish Saint Marty luck tomorrow.  He's going to need it.

My little fifth grader

No comments:

Post a Comment