Friday, September 2, 2011

September 2: My Uncle, Weekend, Best Friend

In a few previous posts, I've asked you to say prayers/think good thoughts for my uncle (who was dying of terminal cancer) and his family.  My uncle died yesterday morning at around 10 a.m.  Obviously, his death came as no surprise, but I've found myself reflecting about summers I spent at his house when I was an undergraduate.  For three or four weeks each summer, my sister and I would camp in his backyard and visit relatives, go shopping, watch movies, and eat ice cream.  Those times are some of my fondest memories.  My uncle was a good man, a great father, and a kind soul.  He will be greatly missed.

Remembering my uncle
I am really glad that it's Friday.  I have survived my first week of teaching without making an idiot of myself.  My other job has been a little challenging over the last few days (to the point that I'm making plans about getting a full-time gig at the university).  I've been fighting an increasing lack of motivation for work, for reading, for writing, for running.  Basically, for anything.  I am ready to relax for a few days.

My pastor friend phoned me from downstate yesterday.  He's coming for a visit tonight and tomorrow morning.  The football team of his new hometown is playing the football team of his old hometown, and he's attending the game.  His dilemma is which team to cheer for.  If he cheers for his old team, he may be ostracized when het gets back home.  If he cheers for his new team, a lot of his friends from the Upper Peninsula may unleash a little whup-ass on him.  I suggested he remain neutral, like Switzerland.  Tomorrow morning, he will be joining me and my family at McDonald's for breakfast.  I haven't seen my pastor friend, or had any kind of extended visit with him, since last May.  It will be good to see him.

Saint Marty is ready.  Bring on the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment