Wednesday, January 8, 2014

January 8: To Be Alive, Fern, Love

From three to four, he planned to stand perfectly still and think what it was like to be alive, and to wait for Fern.

In the fourth chapter of Charlotte's Web, E. B. White provides a detailed itinerary of Wilbur's day, starting with breakfast.  Near the end of this list comes the passage above, where the little pig plans to just stand still for sixty minutes and contemplate the meaning of life.  Perhaps it's Wilbur's version of prayer.


During my days, I don't usually find much time to meditate like this.  I'm too busy actually living to contemplate the deeper meanings of life.  Perhaps I would be a little saner if I took a cue from Wilbur.  Stand still.  Breathe.  Watch the flies on the walls.  The swallows in the trees.  Sheep in the meadows.  OK, I don't live on a farm, but you get my point.

Of course, Wilbur's prayer time ends with the anticipation of Fern's arrival.  Basically, he's waiting for love to show up.  He knows that, when Fern appears, he will be in the presence of a person who accepts him unconditionally.  It doesn't matter whether he's covered in manure or smells like rancid hamburger.  Wilbur knows that Fern loves him.  Period.

I received a phone call this afternoon from a Fern in my life.  She called to see how I was doing.  She'd read my posts from yesterday and wanted to make sure I was OK.  I felt really lucky when I hung up.  I was Wilbur at 4 p.m., watching Fern bound across the barnyard toward me.  I am really blessed.  I have a lot of Ferns and Charlottes in my life.  People who sincerely care about me.

Usually, I reserve Wednesday posts for writing about worries.  I'm taking a break from that today.  Instead, I'm looking up, into the corner of my life.  There's a beautiful, gray spider there, and she's spun a web for me.  There's one word in it.  Clear and simple.

Love.

Saint Marty will hold on to that tonight.

No worries tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment