Saturday, January 18, 2014

January 18: A Fly, An Idea, A New Cartoon

I've spent the day trying to come up with an idea for a new poem.  Which ensured I would not write a new poem.  Last Monday, I told the students in my poetry workshop, "Never plan to write a poem."  Yes, I broke my own damn rule.

I don't have a new poem tonight.  I barely have a thought in my head.  I'm tired.  Aside from working my brain overtime, I also earned money cleaning a house.  Tomorrow, I'm going to clean another house for some extra cash.  I'm hoping to find some kind of inspiration soon, although I also told the students in my poetry workshop last Monday, "Never wait for inspiration to write."  Yes, I broke my own damn rule again.

Charlotte, trying to come up with an idea to save Wilbur from Zuckerman's ax, spends a lot of time waiting for inspiration to strike:

Charlotte was naturally patient.  She knew from experience that if she waited long enough, a fly would come to her web; and she felt sure that if she thought long enough about Wilbur's problem, an idea would come to her mind.

Tomorrow, I will try not to be such a rule-breaker.  I will clean.  I will sit down with my journal and write.  Not a poem.  Or a short story.  Or an essay.  I'll just write and see what kind of flies I catch.  I told the students in my poetry workshop to do that last Monday.

Saint Marty is pretty smart.  He should listen to himself more often.

Confessions of Saint Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment