Saturday, January 4, 2014

January 4: Warm and Comfortable, Ten New Inches, New Cartoon

Wilbur's new home was in the lower part of the barn, directly underneath the cows.  Mr. Zuckerman knew that a manure pile was a good place to keep a young pig.  Pigs need warmth, and it was warm and comfortable down there in the barn cellar on the south side.

Yes, for the second day in a row, I'm focusing on a passage about Mr. Zuckerman's barn.  There's something about early January in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan that makes me a sucker for writing about a warm, comfortable place, even if it's full of cow shit.


I woke up this morning to about ten new inches of snow in my front yard.  That, coupled with the 50-mile-per-hour wind gusts overnight, made for a slow start to the day.  Lots of shoveling and digging out.  It was one of those times when I questioned why I choose to live in the U. P.

Tomorrow, some seriously cold weather is supposed to be descending on my little corner of the world.  I'm talking 50-below-zero wind chills.  A couple of school districts have already cancelled classes for Monday.  If the weather forecasts are accurate, I'm fulling expecting my kids' Christmas break to be extended by a day.

I remember, as a kid, what a joy it was to get an extra day of holiday vacation due to inclement weather.  In fact, I remember one year, when I was an undergraduate in college, a blizzard blew in the Sunday before the start of the winter semester.  That little storm gave me an additional two days of rest and relaxation.  (I think I played a lot of Yahtzee with my brothers and sisters.)

While I'm happy to have 2013 behind me, I'm not as eager to let go of Christmas.  I like sitting in my living room in the glow of the Christmas tree, typing my blog post.  It's so old-fashioned and heartwarming.  Well, not the blogging part, but you know what I mean.  It's comforting.  Safe.  Christmas doesn't change.  It just gets more expensive.

So, I'm being a little nostalgic tonight.  I even have a little Bing Crosby playing on AccuRadio.  Can't beat "White Christmas" for stirring up some chestnut roasting spirit.

I'm working on a new poem, but it didn't quite gel today.  Hopefully, I'll have better success tomorrow.  It's for a new book I'm working on.  I'll talk more about that later.

Before Saint Marty goes all George Bailey on your asses, he's going to sign off.

Confessions of Saint Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment