Monday, January 6, 2014

January 6: A Long Night, Longer Day, Magic 8-Ball with Charlotte

I had a long night last night.  I woke up about 2 a.m., dizzy and sweating.  I made it to the bathroom, where I sat with my face in the toilet bowl for about forty minutes.  I couldn't move.  Every time I tried to stand up, the room would spin, and I'd end up retching in the toilet again.

I was finally able to crawl into the living room, dragging a bucket behind me.  I sat on the couch for another hour or so, the entire world weaving and undulating.  I managed to test my blood sugar, thinking that I was in the middle of a really bad hypoglycemic reaction.  My blood sugar was normal.  By this time, I was into the dry heaves.

After a couple hours pinned to the couch by this condition, I called to my wife.  She came out, tested my blood sugar for me again.  Normal.  She brought me a blanket and a couple of pillows.  There wasn't a whole lot she could do.  She went back to bed, and I heaved into the bucket for another hour or so.  I eventually managed to fall asleep.

I slept most of today.  My stomach is still aching.  My head is still throbbing.  My blood sugars have been out of whack.  Up in the three hundreds.  Down to 45.  Back up again.  It is now 8:10 p.m., and I am currently sitting here with a 123 blood sugar.  Almost normal.  But I feel like I've been hit by a truck.

My kids had the day off from school because of fifty-below-zero wind chills.  They were cooped up inside all day long.  By noon, they were out for each other's blood.  It was like a Donner Party vacation day.  And school is cancelled tomorrow because of the wind chills.  It's going to be another long day.

If you haven't realized it yet, I've had a pretty crappy day.  I'm hoping tonight is a little better.

For my first Magic 8-Ball Monday with Charlotte's Web, I'm going to ask an easy question:

Is the year 2014 going to be better than 2013?

And the answer from Wilbur and his cohorts is:

Dr. Dorian closed his eyes again and went into deep thought.  "Henry Fussy," he mumbled.  "Hmm.  Remarkable.  Well, I don't think you have anything to worry about..."

Well, that's a fairly clear answer.  I don't have anything to worry about.  I think I'm going to really like spending the year with a spider and a pig.

Now, if Saint Marty can make it through the night without his head in the toilet, things are looking up.

I was there today.  It wasn't fun.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment