Thursday, October 4, 2012

October 4: Tired of Debates

I am tired of hearing how poorly Barack Obama performed in the presidential debate last night.  He looked tired.  He was dismissive.  He was rude.  I'm also tired of hearing how Mitt Romney hit it out of the ballpark last night.  He was energetic.  He brought his "A" game.  He didn't let President Obama off the hook.  He looked presidential.  I'm not saying this because I'm an Obama supporter (I am), and I'm not saying this because I hate Mitt Romney (I do).  I'm saying this because it seems like the reporters and commentators were watching a different debate than I was.

From my side of the television set, both candidates did well.  Both were articulate.  Both had good command of the facts and statistics.  Both made good cases for their points of view.  I didn't see a tired or snippy Barack Obama.  I didn't see a commanding Mitt Romney.  I saw two guys who were expressing their plans for the future of the United States of America.  And expressing them well.

Now, do I agree with one candidate more than the other?  You betcha.  However, even before the debate last night, I heard people on the radio and TV saying that Barack Obama was going to lose, that Mitt Romney was hungrier.  The outcome was decided before either man stepped foot on the stage.  That annoys the hell out of me.

Politics has always been kind of a blood sport.  After listening to the debates about the debate all day long, I have to say that I think a lot of the blood is supplied by the people doing the reporting.

That's just one humble saint's opinion.

Let's just vote and get it over with now

No comments:

Post a Comment