Friday, October 19, 2012

October 19: Birthday Party End of Day

I am sitting on my couch at the end of a birthday party, at the end of cleaning up the cake crumbs and pizza crusts.  I'm a little beat, but feeling content.  It was a good night.  The kids had a good time, and visiting with our family was relaxing.  We don't get together very often, except for birthdays and holidays.  Probably the next time we will all see each other is on Thanksgiving.  Turkey and pecan pie.  We joke that Thanksgiving isn't Thanksgiving (or Christmas isn't Christmas) until my wife's younger sister stands up in the middle of the living room and says, "I hate this family!" and runs away.  (I witnessed this scene a few times in the past.)

We are a more civil crew now, nicer to each other.  We've reached that time in our lives when a nap sounds more exciting than a night at a bar or restaurant (unless it's Red Lobster and somebody else is paying).  We like each other, despite all our quirks and insanity.  We like each other, because of all our quirks and insanity.  We know the cracks and fissures in each other's lives, and we fill those absent places with love.

I know that sounds corny, but I'm feeling pretty blessed tonight, at the end of a long week of not feeling blessed.  That's very comforting.

Saint Marty is ready for bed, and he'll sleep better tonight than he has for quite a while.
I love my crazy family

No comments:

Post a Comment