Saturday, October 20, 2012

October 20: Ill Whims, Consequence, New Cartoon

"Oh, I have!" said Scrooge's nephew.  "I am sorry for him; I couldn't be angry with him if I tried.  Who suffers by his ill whims?  Himself, always.  Here, he takes it into his head to dislike us, and he won't come and dine with us.  What's the consequence!  He don't lose much of a dinner--"

Scrooge's nephew is reflecting on Scrooge's ill whims about Christmas with the guests at his Christmas party.  Fred is never angry or bitter with his uncle.  The primary emotion Fred feels toward Scrooge is pity and compassion.  Fred recognizes that Scrooge is an unhappy man.  The source of Scrooge's Christmas hostility is unknown to Fred, but Fred knows what the results are:  isolation, alienation, loneliness.

If you know someone who suffers from depression or anxiety, you're in much the same position as Fred is in.  You're powerless to do anything to help the sufferer.  It's frustrating.  I have been lucky with my wife for some time now.  She has been doing really well with her bipolar.  Her medications are working well, and, while she does experience lower periods every once in a while, for the most part, she is great.

I have been Fred before, however.  I have banged my head against the wall of mental illness.  It's not a fun exercise.  All I ended up with was a headache and a heartache.  Until my wife recognized her need for help, she couldn't be helped.  I had to sit back and watch her self-destruct.  Fred must do the same thing:  watch his uncle suffer.  It's not an easy thing to do.  Until Scrooge recognizes his need for help, he'll never get better.  (Yes, I am saying that Scrooge suffers from mental illness.  He is one of the most miserable characters I have ever encountered in literature.)

So, the message of my post today is for readers who have mentally ill loved ones:  know that you are not alone.  Know that you are not a failure.  Know that all you can offer your loved one is compassion and support.  Know that mental illness is a horrible disease.  But know also that, after a long and dark night, there is a bright and happy Christmas morning waiting.

Saint Marty is praying for you.

Confessions of Saint Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment