Thursday, May 5, 2022

May 5: Much to Learn, Rough Day, Meanest Creatures

Santiago knows he is loved . . . 

"Now we fish together again."

"No. I am not lucky. I am not lucky anymore."

"The hell with luck," the boy said. "I'll bring the luck with me."

"What will your family say?"

"I do not care. I caught two yesterday. But we will fish together now for I still have much to learn."

A rough day.  My son, who has been struggling in school since the pandemic began, got a five-day suspension this afternoon.  I won't go into details, but my wife and I had a meeting with the principal and the special education coordinator.  My son cried through most of it.  His first words when he saw us were, "I don't want to be expelled."  

Now I am struggling with my feelings toward the school, administrators, and my son's classmates.  My son is not perfect by any means.  But, without getting into any personal details, I will only say that middle school and middle schoolers suck on many levels.  And kids can be the meanest creatures on the planet.

In the evening, I led a poetry workshop.  My son attended.  He's a really good poet.

Saint Marty's koan for the day:  the hardest life lessons involve hungry, eighth grade sharks. 





No comments:

Post a Comment