Sunday, May 1, 2022

May 1: Slept Face Down, End-of-Semester Craziness, T-I-R-E-D

Santiago makes it home . . . 

Finally he put the mast down and stood up. He picked the mast up and put it on his shoulder and started up the road. He had to sit down five times before he reached his shack.

Inside the shack he leaned the mast against the wall. In the dark he found a water bottle and took a drink. Then he lay down on the bed. He pulled the blanket over his shoulders and then over his back and legs and he slept face down on the newspapers with his arms out straight and the palms of his hands up.

I understand this kind of exhaustion.  I'm in the battle of end-of-semester craziness.  Today, I graded 70 original myths and two sets of exams.  Tomorrow, I have 70 original fairy tales to grade, plus more exams.  My eyes are t-i-r-e-d.

Saint Marty's koan for tonight:  sleep is more precious than fish.



No comments:

Post a Comment