Thursday, May 12, 2022

May 12: Santiago and the Fish, "My Friend Dahmer," Empowerment

Since I finished The Old Man and the Sea yesterday, I'm taking a break from Santiago and the fish for a night.

I'm sitting on my couch right now, after an evening of writing some comedy sketches for the show I'm in this weekend.  I also watched the movie My Friend Dahmer with my son.  (Not sure if that was a good parenting move, but we bonded over the backstory of one of the country's most notorious serial killers.) 

Speaking of bad parenting, my son did NOT go back to school today.  He asked to have another day off.  To study for some tests he missed while on suspension.  To prepare for returning to the foxhole of middle school.  And I agreed.

Here's my thinking:  he was told by the principal that he couldn't come back to school for five days.  Going back today would have been on the school's terms.  Tomorrow, he will choose to return.  On his terms.  Perhaps that's a load of crap.  But I know, if I were in his shoes, it would give me a little sense of empowerment.  And, after seeing how broken he looked in the school office last week, I don't mind giving him that.

Here endeth Saint Marty's parenting lesson for the evening.



No comments:

Post a Comment