Wednesday, May 4, 2022

May 4: Coast Guard, Being Forgotten, Italian Restaurant

Santiago wonders if he was missed . . . 

"Did they search for me?"

"Of course. With coast guard and with planes."

"The ocean is very big and a skiff is small and hard to see," the old man said. He noticed how pleasant it was to have someone to talk to instead of speaking only to himself and to the sea. "I missed you," he said. "What did you catch?"

"One the first day. One the second and two the third."

"Very good."

I think we all think about being forgotten, like Santiago does here.  I know I do.  I wonder what kind of hole in the universe my absence would create.  If anyone would send out the coast guard and search planes.

Didn't do much today.  Took my son to a therapy appointment.  Then we went to an Italian restaurant for dinner.  I would never want to be a middle schooler again.  Too much drama and hormones.

Saint Marty's koan for the day:  if you're adrift on the sea, make sure someone will miss you.



No comments:

Post a Comment