Thursday, April 19, 2012

April 19: Exorcised Spirits, Armbands, Norman Rae

Well, the Health Care Spirits came and went this morning without incident.  They spent a total of about two minutes in my work area before they crossed over into the light (across the hallway into the clinical area).  For two days' worth of built-up anxiety, it was quite disappointing.  It was like exorcising Linda Blair by doing the Hokey Pokey.

When I went to teach at the university this afternoon, I wore a black armband.  It was supposed to symbolize my support of the collective bargaining for the faculty and staff of the school.  As a new member of the union, I get to take part in all this cool stuff.  (Hey, I got the armband for free.  I'm all set if I have to go into mourning or get a job as a blackjack dealer in Vegas.)  I thought I was going to walk through the building and see all the professors wearing their armbands in the classrooms.  I was the only idiot with an armband on.  So much for being Norman friggin' Rae.

There's one more week of regular classes left in the semester, and then final exam week.  That probably means about two more paychecks from the university before that well runs dry.  I'm trying not to panic.  I'm trying to convince myself that we aren't going to end up homeless and hungry.  Norman Rae wouldn't be afraid.

Saint Marty might wear his armband to bed tonight, just to feel safe.

Would you believe this is my arm?

No comments:

Post a Comment