Wednesday, April 11, 2012

April 11: Singing and Dancing and Praying

I don't know why I titled  this post with a list of gerunds.  Perhaps it's because I just finished watching the film Enchanted with my mythology class.  (If you haven't seen it, Amy Adams does a LOT of singing and dancing).  Perhaps it's because I have to go to choir practice this evening, which, obviously, involves a LOT of singing.  Perhaps it's because I didn't say my prayers this morning, and I didn't read my devotions, either.  Therefore, I have a lot of praying to do this afternoon.

Perhaps it's because I've always loved stage and movie musicals.  I grew up listening to my mother's Rodgers and Hammerstein LPs.  I bet I was the only second grader who knew all the words to "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria" and "If I Were a Rich Man."  I love watching people break into spontaneous song and dance.  I thought it was normal.  I used to wait for my grade school teachers to suddenly bust out into a chorus of "The Impossible Dream" or "I Could Have Danced All Night."  I think the world would be a happier place if we could all be so honest and open about our emotions.

Instead of contemplating suicide, we could sing a chorus of "You'll Never Walk Alone."  Instead of gang violence, we could have West Side Story ballet dance-offs in the streets of inner-cities.  Instead of child abuse and neglect, a bunch of kids is red fright wigs could belt out "It's A Hard Knock Life."  And instead of jihadists blowing things up, a bunch of women in burkas could kick the shit out of a terrorist while singing "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair."  I'm telling you, it would work.

Anyway, that's my vision of a perfect world.  Music everywhere.  Police officers singing "Edelweiss" on the street corner.  Highschoolers tap dancing down the street.  And every person with a show-stopping number.

Saint Marty's always wanted to sing "Ol' Man River."

Time for a little "Shipoopi"

No comments:

Post a Comment