Saturday, July 5, 2014

July 4: The Fair Grounds, Independence Day, Fireworks

When they pulled into the Fair Grounds, they could hear music and see the Ferris wheel turning in the sky.  They could smell the dust of the race track where the sprinkling cart had moistened it, and they could smell hamburgers frying and see balloons aloft.  The could hear sheep blatting in their pens.  An enormous voice over the loudspeaker said:  "Attention, please!  Will the owner of a Pontiac car, license number H-2439, please move your car away from the fireworks shed!"

I chose the above paragraph because it reminds me of Independence Day celebrations.  Music.  Rides.  Hamburgers.  Balloons.  Fireworks.  It pretty much describes my entire day.

I attended two parades, ate a ton of bratwurst and kettle corn, and watched a fireworks display.  In fact, I just home.  It's a little past midnight, and some fools down the street a setting off firecrackers and bottle rockets.  It's been a really good day.

I don't know if I have the energy to write a fairy tale this evening.  So, let me just say that once upon a time, a bunch of colonists dumped some tea into Boston Harbor.  Over 200 years later, we all barbecue hot dogs, drink beer, and get sunburned on July 4.

And Saint Marty lived happily ever after.

Anybody want  little tea?

No comments:

Post a Comment