Monday, July 28, 2014

July 28: Poet of the Week, Phil Legler, "Return"

I know you're all waiting for the name of the Poet of the Week.  I gave this choice a lot of thought.  I want to pick a writer who I think is a little overlooked.  His name is Phil Legler.

Phil published three collections of poetry in his lifetime.  He was a lovely man, brilliant teacher, and fantastic poet.  I had the privilege of having him as a professor one semester.  He was one of the first people, aside from members of my family, who told me I had writing talent.

Tonight's poem is about the changing of seasons.  On my way into work today, I saw a tree with leaves the color of lemon.  Queen Anne's lace is blooming everywhere.  Summer is drawing to a close, and autumn is just around the corner.

Saint Marty isn't quite ready to say goodbye to July yet.

Return

by:  Phil Legler

The wind turns, changes;
birds, like wishes, rise over
fields, fly south again.

The low clouds, husks.
In the hollows of both hands
nothing but shadow.

A leaf falls; the wind
gathers it up a moment.
I touched your breast once.

Silence like snow.  Now
I hear the wings fluttering--
pieces of a sky.

Queen Anne's lace and autumn are on the way

No comments:

Post a Comment