Thursday, July 31, 2014

July 30: Christmas Poems, Phil Legler, "Manger Scene"

Phil Legler was the person who gave me the idea to write a Christmas poem every year.  Phil's Christmas cards were poems.  The semester after I had him as a professor, I received a small note from him in December.  On it was the poem I'm including in this post.

Each year after that, I got another card, another poem, until he became too ill to continue the practice.  I wish I'd kept those cards.  They were always one of the highlights of my holidays.  That's why I write Christmas poems.  To somehow carry on Phil's legacy.

Saint Marty hopes you're all feeling a little holly jolly tonight.

Manger Scene

by:  Phil Legler

               It's not in how spellbound all
these travelers are, like us, propped here and holding
           tree-shine and tinsel enfolding
          the branch near the floor,
that there is anything strange or unusual;
               we've seen all this before.

               It's in the story--the same
snow falling, covering our footsteps, daydreaming men
            wishing the journey, the man-
          child crying in the night,
waking, held by the star, as if for the first time
               gathering in that light.

It came upon a midnight mailbox

No comments:

Post a Comment