Tuesday, July 9, 2013

July 9: Piano Player, Concert and Poetry Reading, Prayer of the Week


…I swear to God, if I were a piano player or an actor or something and all those dopes thought I was terrific, I’d hate it.  I wouldn’t even want them to clap for me.  People always clap for the wrong things.  If I were a piano player, I’d play it in the goddam closet…

Holden’s talking about Ernie, a guy who owns a bar and is famous for his piano playing.  Except Holden thinks Ernie’s a little too full of himself.  Ernie knows he’s good, and that makes Ernie’s playing bad.

I understand Holden’s thinking here.  I’ve heard some really good poets give readings and absolutely stink.  It’s not because their poetry stinks.  It’s because these poets somehow started believing all of the praise that had been heaped upon them.  They were reading as if each syllable they uttered was a golden apple.  They had no humility, and, because of that, they went from being talented to mediocre in the space of a few minutes.

I’m thinking about humility because I’ve got a couple of things happening in the next couple of days that require me to be a humble servant instead of a “great” piano player or poet.  Tonight, I’m performing a community concert with my praise band.  That’s at 7 p.m.  Tomorrow night at a poetry reading, I have to introduce Elinor Benedict, who may be the very first U.P. Poet Laureate.  In both instances, I have to remember my role and goal.  Tonight, hopefully, I’m a vehicle for God to speak to a whole lot of people through music.  Tomorrow night, I have to make people understand how great a poet Ms. Benedict is.  In both instances, it’s all about humility.

And that’s what my prayer of the week is about.

Dear God,

Please empty my heart of any kind of jealousy or pride in these next couple of days.  Help me to remember my role:  I am a servant, put on this planet to do Your work.  As I play the keyboard tonight, guide my fingers, guide the sounds I make.  As I introduce Elinor tomorrow, give me the right words, let me inspire the audience to love her writing.  And, above all, grant me humility.

That’s what I’m asking for this week.  I know I can sometimes get a little full of myself, like Ernie.  Please, don’t let that happen at the concert or the poetry reading.  It’s not about me.  It’s about You.

Your loving child,

Saint Marty

I can admit my weaknesses...

No comments:

Post a Comment