Thursday, July 4, 2013

July 4: Happy Independence Day

In the United States, on July 4, we celebrate Independence Day.  It's the day the Declaration of Independence was signed in 1776, kicking off the American Revolution.  So when I say "Happy July 4th," I'm not trying to be xenophobic or insensitive to other cultures.  I'm simply passing along warm greetings on a day which places high value on freedom in my country.

I do realize how lucky I am to live in a place that allows me to write a blog like this without censorship or consequence.  I can openly express my opinions and not worry about being woken up in the middle of the night by some kind of secret police.  That's a great blessing, and that's what Independence Day is all about in the United States, at least in my mind.

Whoever you are, I wish you safety and happiness this day.  My hope for you is freedom to live your life as you wish.  To love freely, worship freely, speak freely, write freely, read freely.

Marty is a very lucky saint.

This is what it's all about

1 comment:

  1. Happy 4th July to all and hope you enjoyed your celebrations... I so love those words of Voltaire... many thanks from South Australia, Catherine.

    ReplyDelete