Sunday, July 28, 2013

July 27 Make-Up: A Couple of Minutes, My Daughter, New Cartoon

He never said hello or anything when he met you.  The first thing he said when he sat down was that he could only stay a couple of minutes.  He said he had a date.  Then he ordered a dry Martini.  He told the bartender to make it very dry, and no olive.

I've written about Holden's friend old Luce before.  Luce is a few years older than Holden, and, as Holden says, he's "strictly a pain in the ass."  Luce is impatient.  He doesn't seem to even to like Holden very much.  Of course, Holden can be a little bit of a pain in the ass himself, so perhaps Luce's attitude and demeanor are somewhat justified.

This morning, my daughter reminded me of Luce.  I picked my daughter up from camp at 11 a.m.  She's been at church camp for six days.  Six days of the Bible, chapel, crafts, and talking about God.  I was really looking forward to seeing her, hearing about her week.

What I got was monosyllabic answers to my questions.  Me:  "How was the dance?"  Her:  "Good."  Me:  "Did you get to swim at all?"  Her:  "Yeah."  Me:  "Did you meet any new friends?"  Her:  "Couple."  You get the idea.  I kept expecting her to order a dry Martini and tell me she could only stay a couple of minutes because she had a date.

On the drive home, she managed to yell, sulk, and whine in the space of twenty minutes.  In her defense, she was exhausted.  When my daughter gets tired, she tends to be moodier than normal.  To be honest, she's one step away from demonic possession when she's tired.  I should have just driven in silence, enjoying the scenery.

My day has been taken up with unpacking dirty clothes, doing loads of laundry, and trying to keep my daughter from killing her four-year-old brother.  It's been quite a joyful homecoming.  I haven't had a chance to work on a new poem much today, so you'll have to wait until tomorrow night for that.  Please forgive me.  It's hard to be in a poetic frame of mind when you have a prepubescent twelve-year-old girl telling you, "Just leave me alone!  I'm not going to church tonight!"

Saint Marty's ready to drop his daughter back off at camp for another week.

Confessions of Saint Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment