Wednesday, April 24, 2013

April 24: Lose a Minute, Bob Ross, Chapbook

You could tell he wasn't tired at all, though.  He was pretty oiled up, for one thing.  "I think that one of these days," he said, "you're going to have to find out where you want to go.  And then you've got to start going there.  But immediately.  You can't afford to lose a minute.  Not you."

Mr. Antolini is the speaker; Holden is the listener.  Well, actually, Holden is too tired to listen, and Mr. Antolini is too drunk to notice this fact.  But Antolini's advice is very sound.  If you know where you want to go, don't waste any time.  Get on the road.

I have been worrying, complaining, rhapsodizing about the chapbook of poems I recently compiled.  I gave it to a poet friend of mine last week to get his opinion and advice.  I have until May 1 to get the book in the mail to the chapbook contest I'm entering.  Last night, I received my friend's feedback, and it was really positive.  Surprisingly positive, because I didn't think the manuscript held together that well.  Now I have to do a little rewriting, which is happy work for me.  I love this part of the writing process.  I picture myself as Bob Ross taking my brush and adding a few trees to my painting.

I haven't been really good about submitting my work for publication.  That has to change if I ever hope to get a full-time job at the university.  I have to make myself so attractive as a writer and instructor that they simply won't want to lose me.  I need to publish a new book of poems.  Better yet, I need to publish a couple new books of poems.  If I don't, I'm consigning myself to permanent part-timehood.

I know where I want to go.  Now I have to pick up a pen and start writing my way there.  I want to publish a new book.  I want to win this chapbook contest.  (The $1000 prize would come in handy, as well.)  I want to be a full-time professor.  With the changes coming in the not-too-distant future with my hospital job, I don't have much time to get these things accomplished.  The clock is ticking.

Saint Marty has some revising to do.  He has to make some happy little clouds in his sky.

or some happy little waves...

No comments:

Post a Comment