Monday, April 1, 2013

April 1: U. S. Poet Laureate

I just received a phone call from a Ms. Julienne Vivox, who is the undersecretary to the Secretary for Cultural Affairs for President Barack Obama.  It seems that I've been nominated to replace Natasha Trethewey as United States Poet Laureate.  It seems Ms. Trethewey has to step down due to health reasons, and she recommended me to serve out the remaining year of her term.  I don't know how she came across my name or my work, but she's a big fan, according the Undersecretary Vivox.

The announcement is not going to be made official until after April 1 in order avoid the suspicion that the White House is playing some kind of April Fool's Day joke on the press corps.  In the mean time, I need to get on Travelocity and book a cheap ticket to Washington D. C.

U. S. Poet Laureate Saint Marty.  Has a nice ring to it.

Natasha's a big fan...

No comments:

Post a Comment