Tuesday, April 16, 2013

April 16: Sharon Olds Pulitzer, No Snark Here

Usually, when the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry is announced every year, I get very snarky and make nasty and disparaging comments.  It has nothing to do with the quality of the poet being lauded and everything to do with my inherent jealousy.  Here is a list of some of my favorite snarks:

"Well, of course he won.  He's practically dead."

"I think she slept with all the Pulitzer judges."

"Does he really need a Pulitzer?  He already teaches for Harvard."

"Her?  Are you kidding me?  Why don't they rename it the I-can't-write-shit Prize?"

"Oh, him.  He deserves it.  He needs to complete the Triple Crown--Pulitzer, National Book Award, and Nobel Prize.  Go, Seabiscuit."

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Well, this year, you will find no snark here.  The winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry for 2013 is Sharon Olds, for her collection Stag's Leap.  Sharon Olds has been my muse since I started writing poetry.  I took a workshop taught by Sharon Olds.  I've got four books autographed my Sharon Olds.  Sharon Olds is long overdue for a Pulitzer Prize, and that injustice was corrected yesterday.

The only snarky thing Saint Marty will say is that it's about time the Pulitzer Prize judges got their heads out of their asses.

For she's a jolly good poet....

No comments:

Post a Comment