Monday, April 1, 2013

April 1: Choosing and Recording Poems, a Little Dip in the "Rye"

Yes, it is the first day of National Poetry Month.  At 12:30 p.m., I have a date at the local Public Radio station to record some of my poems for broadcast this month.  It's something the station has been doing for quite a few years, and it allows listeners to hear the work of local writers.

My problem is this:  I'm not sure what poems I've recorded in the past.  I was going through my poetry binder, picking out possibilities, and suddenly realized I'd already recorded one of them last year.  I really need to keep better track of what I've already used from year-to-year.

Anyway, I have a good stack of poems that I'm sure I haven't recorded before.  Now my nerves are beginning to kick in.  I can usually read my poems straight through, without a mistake.  However, now that I've put that out there, I'm sure I'm go to turn into a stuttering mess.  It will be like Mel Tillis reciting Shakespeare.

My question for Rye Dip Monday is this:

Will I be able to record my poems this afternoon in one take, without any mistakes?

And the answer from Mr. Salinger is:

She was sore as hell, but she got up off my goddam lap so that I could go over and get my wallet off the chiffonier.  I took out a five-dollar bill and handed it to her.  "Thanks a lot," I told her.  "Thanks a million."

I'm not sure what this passage says about recording poetry this afternoon.  Maybe I'll run into a prostitute on my way to the studio.  Maybe I'll get through my recording easily and be really grateful.  Maybe I'll have to pay the radio station to put my poems on air.

Saint Marty is getting mixed signals.

To b-be or n-not t-to b-be...

No comments:

Post a Comment