Sunday, April 14, 2013

April 14: Start of Summer, Plans, New Cartoon

Summer is approaching.  I know it's coming.  My summer really begins in about three weeks, when I submit the final grades for my two Intro to Film classes and the checks from the university stop coming for about four months.  That's when things get really interesting.  By the end of August, I'm looking at the totals in my savings and checking accounts and thinking, "Please, God, just help me get through the next three weeks."  And that's without factoring in surprise car repairs and other bills.

The start of summer is one of my favorite things.  I love the promise of it.  The possibility of it.  I always have big plans.  I'm going to write a new chapbook of poems.  I'm going to finish my memoir.  I'm going to start my resume-writing business.  I'm going to start running every day.  Yeah, I love the start of summer.

Of course, I rarely accomplish half the things I set out to do.  I have more time.  No teaching.  No grading.  However, the worries start piling up.  Bills to pay--dance lessons, gas, water, cable, phone.  The normal stuff.  And I have $1200 less a month to do it with.  That's the part of summer I hate.

I always hope I'll get summer classes to teach.  I never do.  I always hope I won't be faced with some big car repair.  I always do.

Saint Marty loves summer.  He just wishes it was about four paychecks shorter.

The Confessions of Saint Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment