Tuesday, March 5, 2013

March 5: All Dressed Up and No Place to Go

I was supposed to be typing this post in my office at the university.  My daughter is at dance class until 8:30 tonight, so I was going to hole up at school and pretend I was a full-time, workaholic professor.  Instead, I got to campus and found every building locked up tight.  It's Spring Break.  Everybody goes home at five.

So, here I sit at the medical office, where I've been since 5 a.m.  All dressed up and no place to go.  By the time this night is over, I will have been in this building a total of fifteen-plus hours.  On the suck meter, this is pushing into the danger zone of maximum suckitude.  I'm trying to remain positive, but my surroundings are not helping things at the moment.

I suppose it could be worse.  My car could have a flat tire or a dead battery.  I could be vomiting.  My laptop could have a virus.  The office I'm in could be attacked by zombies.  A moon-sized asteroid could be on a collision course with Earth.  Mitt Romney could be President of the United States.

I will make the best of this bad situation.  I'm going to take this time to work on my memoir or read a book.  I have a biography of Robert Frost in my book bag with some crackers and cheese.  I just cranked the volume on a Christmas satellite radio station on my computer.

Saint Marty's gonna have himself a little party.

This fella has the right idea

No comments:

Post a Comment