Monday, March 25, 2013

March 25: Lachrymose Monday, Unsettled, "Rye" Dip

I've always thought that the Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of Holy Week get short shrift.  They have no special name to identify them.  Sunday is Palm Sunday.  Thursday is Maunday Thursday or Holy Thursday.  Friday is Good Friday.  Saturday is Holy Saturday or, in the Catholic Church, Easter Vigil.  Then, of course, comes Easter Sunday.

I've decided to give names to Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.  We'll see if they catch on.  Today is Monday.  I've been feeling a little unsettled since I woke up.  I don't know why.  I have a lot going on.  Work and teaching and a Faith Formation session with my daughter this evening.  I'm supposed to meet a friend for lunch at noon.  In between all that, I have Easter plans to finalize with members of the praise team, and I have to correct midterm exams.  Plus, Holy Week always gets me worked me up emotionally.  It's the Gospel readings about Christ's Passion and focus on pain and suffering, I think.  Anyway, these seven days leave me a little worn out.

Which brings me to the name I've come up with for the Monday of Holy Week.  Henceforth, this day shall be known as Lachrymose Monday.  So let it be done.

"Lachrymose" is defined as "crying, sad, tearful, weepy, pensive, gloomy."  It pretty much describes my mood at the moment.  I would think it describes Christ's mood on Monday of the last week of His life, as well.  I mean, He knew what was coming.  I'd have been a little glum if I were Him.

My Rye dip question for this inaugural Lachrymose Monday is obvious:

Will the snow stop falling and weather warm up soon?  (OK, maybe it's not an obvious question, but I'm tired of all this snow.)

The answer from the Gospel according to J. D. Salinger is:

"Go home, Mac, like a good guy.  Go home and hit the sack."

That's not very encouraging.  I need to go home and sleep until the thaw arrives.  That's what I've been doing for the last four months.


Saint Marty wishes all his disciples a Happy Lachrymose Monday.


No comments:

Post a Comment