Monday, March 11, 2013

March 11: Business as Usual, God's Sense of Humor, "Rye" Dip

Spring Break is over.  I thought it was going to be business as usual today.  Work at 5 a.m.  Teaching at 3 p.m.  Lots of phone calls and paperwork in between.

I woke this morning to about eight inches of snow on top of my car and thirty-mile-an-hour winds.  The drive to the medical office was interesting, to say the least.  The county plows had not cleared U.S. 41, so I pretty much followed two ruts of snow all the way to work.  That's over twenty miles of white knuckles.

God has a sense of humor.  I've known this for a while.  Having a snowstorm blow into the Upper Peninsula of Michigan the day after Spring Break is pretty funny.  The university is open, and I have to teach this afternoon.  However, I know half of the students are not going to show up, which puts me in a quandary.  I'm not sure what to do about the midterm exam.  I was going to spend time in class today doing a review and answering questions.  There's a take-home essay portion I was planning to hand out today, as well.  The bitchy, vindictive side of me says to move ahead.  Business as usual.  The compassionate, basset hound side of me wants to postpone the exam until next Monday.  I'm leaning, at the moment, toward bitchy and vindictive.

My question for Rye Dip Monday is pretty clear:

Should I postpone my midterm exam?

And the answer from Holden Caulfield is:

"Darling, if Holden needs anything, everything's in the linen closet.  The top shelf.  I'm going to bed.  I'm exhausted," Mrs. Antolini said.  She looked it, too.  "Can you boys made up the couch by yourselves?"

Well, Mrs. Antolini seems pretty sure Holden and her husband can handle things by themselves.  She's done everything else to make Holden comfortable.  She's going to bed.


So, today, Saint Marty is going to prepare his class.  He's going to give his students everything they need.  The linen and blankets.  It's up to them to make their beds for Thursday's exam.

I prefer vanilla midterms

No comments:

Post a Comment