Wednesday, March 13, 2013

March 13: A Memoir-able Encounter

Yesterday, I wrote about working on my memoir in my first post.  There was a reason for that.

I have a writer friend I see every few months.  Ever since he heard my Christmas essay on the local NPR station last year, he's been encouraging me to write a memoir.  He's recommended memoirs to me to read.  Almost every time I speak to him on the phone, he asks me how my memoir writing is going.  I love this man a great deal.  He's funny and kind.  When he calls me, he always starts our conversations the same way, "This is dad."

Well, yesterday when I saw him, I did a foolish thing.

He said to me, "I'm hoping to live long enough to have a copy of your memoir in my hands."

"Well," I said, "the next time I see you, I will give you the first four confessions to read."  That means, in about three months, I have to have the first four chapters of my memoir completed.  After I made him that promise, I immediately thought to myself, What in the hell were you thinking?

But, there's no getting around it.  I have to work, and work hard.   In three months, I will have those four confessions done.  Perhaps it's not such a bad thing, having a deadline.  It gives me a goal, and I work better with goals in mind.

Saint Marty has a lot of writing to do.  Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment