Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July 5: Back to the Grind, Another Reading, New Poem

Home town's fireworks
It rained last night at the fireworks.  For the first five or seven minutes of the show, everyone was huddled under blankets, watching the rockets go off.  After the rain stopped, the wind picked up, and then we spent the rest of the time dodging cinders falling from the sky.  I kid you not.  After it was over and we were back in the car, my daughter said it was the most exciting fireworks she's ever been at.

Today, I'm back to the grind after the three-day holiday.  It was a little rough getting back in the saddle, but I managed (with the help of a Diet Coke and a Diet Mountain Dew).  Mid-way through the day, I find myself thinking about tonight's poetry reading/panel discussion at the Peter White Library in Marquette.  I'm planning on picking out a few poems that I'm definitely going to share, but, aside from that, I have no idea how things are going to go.  That's kind of exciting, but also a little nerve-wracking.
I may have used this before, but it's still funny.

I was able to get a new poem written this morning.  It's inspired by my attendance of the fireworks last night.  I wasn't quite sure where I was headed with it when I wrote the first few lines.  Very quickly, however, it became obvious to me that I was writing a love poem.  It's a poem about the ability to sustain love and passion over the years.

After all of the struggles my wife and I have been through, many people don't understand our relationship--how we've survived the bouts of mental illness and various addictions.  I think, in a strange way, our relationship is stronger now than it has ever been, because it's based on honesty.  I don't hide my feelings over anything with my wife.  My wife, in struggling with her sexual addiction, has learned the necessity of complete honesty, as well, with me and with herself.  At this point in our marriage, we aren't blinded by fantasies of romance.  The romance comes from knowing each other deeply.

That's what today's poem is about.

Saint Marty hopes to see you at the reading tonight.

After the Fireworks


We walk to our car in the dark,
Blankets cradled in our arms,
Stars as distant as the morning
We first met, marriage and kids
Not even ingredients in the roux
Of our thoughts, just longing for
When we could come together
On a beach, wade into lake
Water, hands and lips weightless
As jellyfish on our bodies,
Stinging, pulling back, gliding
Over and in and around, skin,
A night sky on July fourth,
Full of comet, spark, tail, waterfall.
Peony.  Chrysanthemum.  Diadem.
Crossette.  Kamuro.  Bengal fire.
Afterward, as we dressed, we
Still smelled our combustion,
Tasted potassium, nitrogen, copper
On our tongues for hours.
Tonight, we load belongings
Into our Ford.  Books, sparklers,
Half-eaten bag of cotton candy,
Our daughter, still dazzled
By Summer Storm and Pyro Glyphics.
We drive home in silence
After the fireworks, think of how
We, on this Independence Day,
Depend on each other, how we
Still climb into bed each night,
Hungry to be blinded again.


No comments:

Post a Comment