Friday, July 1, 2011

July 1: Poetry Reading, Nerves, Innovative

Watch me pull a poem out of my hat!

I'm doing a poetry reading today at noon at my local library.  I haven't really given an "official" poetry reading for many years (unless you count classes of second graders).  I'm a little nervous about it.  The last real reading I gave got me pretty much banned from a bookstore.  I made a judgement error, read a poem that wasn't quite right for the audience, and upset a couple of people.  Lesson learned.

It also doesn't help that the organizer of the reading e-mailed me this morning and told me not to plan anything out.  He wants us to do something "different," so I don't even really know what I'm walking into.  At least I'm not the only poet there.  There are a few others, including a good friend.  Hopefully, I'll sell a few copies of my book, have a few laughs, and meet some interesting people.

There's tons of money in poetry.  Really.
I think what I will do is pick out a few poems I know will be crowd-pleasers.  Usually, the really funny ones work best.  Considering the venue, I'm expecting a lot of older, retired people.  Therefore, I will not be reading my testicle poem or any poem that hints at sex.  I'm not taking any chances.

By the way, tomorrow I'm doing a book signing at the bookstore I've been banned at.  Don't quite know how that happened, but I will be there with books and pen in hand.  Maybe I should bake some chocolate chip cookies for the manager.  Just a thought.

Well, that's about it for today.  I'm a little preoccupied and anxious.  I think I have to go to the bathroom.  Wish me luck.  With the poetry reading thing, not the bathroom thing.

Saint Marty is playing it safe today.

1 comment:

  1. Well hello Saint Marty, your blog is the first blog I believe I have ever joined. I stumbled upon your website because I am hosting a poetry night and needed some images for my flyers. I started reading and really enjoyed your humor, and your mission statement. I also need to clean up life's messes, and lets just say I have a shit load of cleaning to do. It looks like you haven't updated this in a while, but you now have one more follower.



    peace and blessings,
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete